title

Darlece Cleveland, Artist

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Blue Heron and Hamsas

Here is a blue heron clay piece I made while directing the ceramics program at Camp Chateaugay in upstate New York.  I worked there for the last three summers.  Unfortunately a crack formed on the left side.  I'll be using it in a mosaic and the crack will fill in with grout so I think it will be okay.  This is porcelain with underglazes on the herons body.  The background is regular glazes.  I absolutely love blue herons!


  
These are hamsa hands and were created by me as samples for a project I had the campers work on.  The children made them by placing their hand on the clay and tracing around it.  They then cut out the pocket and attached it to the hand.  

The oldest hamsas originated in the Middle East. They are believed to bring their owner happiness, health, good luck and fortune.  I hang mine on the wall and put fresh cut flowers in them.  One of my students told me that in Jewish homes they are hung on the wall near the front door. Then a prayer is written on a piece of paper, folded and placed in the hamsa.





No comments:

Post a Comment